Today’s 24-hour news cycles, blogs, wikis, and social media outlets have fundamentally transformed how news content is reported, produced and distributed. This cultural shift toward the immediacy of online news has contracted the journalism field, displacing many traditional journalists—and opening up new professional pathways.
BAU’s Hybrid online / on-campus Digital Journalism Program provides a professional level of study and practical tools for experienced editors, writers, journalists, print and broadcast publishers looking to take the next step into merging traditional journalistic skills with the speedy content management and mastery of the ever-increasing variety of digital media outlets available on the Internet.
Who Should Attend
The program is intended for experienced editors, writers, journalists and reporters seeking career enhancement and advancement in new media careers. In particular, the program will appeal to:
- professional journalists wanting to take advantage of new media opportunities.
- mid-career professionals who need an introduction to the critical technologies necessary in the diverse news marketplace.
- recent journalism graduates who are not yet prepared for the challenges of online journalism.
- public relations and social media professionals working on newspapers, magazines, blogs, and investigative or narrative journalism.
- Learn to utilize new media/technology tools for gathering, writing and disseminating news and information across multiple multimedia platforms including visual, audio, blogs, wikis, and graphics
- Be able to balance objectivity, accuracy and immediacy with speedy multimedia content delivery
- Determine the best way to tell a story while engaging readers with shared social media content
- Determine the appropriate use of mobile technology for journalistic social interaction
- Learn to market their personal brand, and decide how it relates to institutional brands
- Journalism Entrepreneurship
This module will teach students how to explore creative and commercial possibilities which are endless online. Students will learn to create and manage their own innovative projects online, or brand themselves online as professional journalists who can work with traditional media companies.
- Reporting Beats in the Digital Age
This course focuses on the advent of digital journalism, and on new opportunities for journalists to become more than reporters, but also to serve as subject matter experts and how to develop a “beat,” court sources, deepen your knowledge, build your platform, and ultimately, how to get your online content seen by the widest audience possible.
- Transmedia Storytelling: Engaging your Audience in the Digital Age
This course will lead students to examine the role and structure of narrative in audience engagement, and how this dynamic new trend in media content development impacts consumers. You will use case studies and, upon completion of this course, evaluate and develop a transmedia story-strategy for a product, company or campaign.
- Social Media for Public Relations
This course includes 5 practical modules of study that will empower PR professionals at all levels in their career to implement social media in their work, and be innovation leaders in their organization, Designed to address the specific needs of today’s public relations professional in a new media environment.
- Personal Branding for Journalism
This course teach students how to set themselves apart in the crowded space of online and digital journalism. Students will learn how to create unique personal brands that will appeal to employers, contractors and businesses wishing to take on independent campaigns and promotions.
- Blogging for Business
This hands-on course will teach you why blogging is important, how to navigate around WordPress, how to create and maintain a successful business blogging campaign, how to choose and write the material that will best suit your client or business, how to manage workflow, how to post efficiently and effectively, why you should respond to comments, and why it’s necessary to incorporate social media posting into your blogging strategy.